| || |
A system to save a life
The mission of Orange County Emergency Medical Services is to plan and coordinate the highest quality prehospital and emergency medical care in response to individual needs or community crisis.
- To collaborate with system participants to provide the appropriate level of care for Orange County residents and visitors during a medical emergency.
- To advocate for quality medical care for children and other vulnerable populations.
- To participate in research and trial studies and use evidence-based medicine to develop guidelines, standards and protocols for providers in the delivery of emergency prehospital care.
- To certify or accredit the following prehospital medical professionals:
- Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT)
- Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedics (EMT-P)
- Mobile Intensive Care Nurses (MICN)
- Base Hospital Physicians
- To provide medical protocols for the following health care entities
- First responders and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) programs
- Basic Life Support (BLS) service providers
- Advanced Life Support (ALS) service providers
- To assure First Responder, EMT and Paramedic training programs adhere to established national standards.
- To train and prepare the local medical community for response to natural and manmade disasters affecting Orange County.
- To develop standards for the designation of hospitals to which EMS patients are transported for evaluation and care.
- To serve as a resource for public health and other community groups.
- To comply with federal and state mandates pertaining to the provision of emergency medical services within Orange County.